International Students
Book now with HealthEngine

We're located at
7-9 Gibbons Street Redfern

Opposite redfern train station

International Students

The Citydoc Medical Centre offers the full range of services to students from Australia as well as overseas. All international students are able to use their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) cards to see the doctor. All you have to do is call us for an appointment or walk in for an appointment. You only need to carry your OSHC card & ID when you come in for your appointment.

Overseas Student Health Cover

As per the Australian Government rules, all student visa holders are required to have approved health cover for the entire duration of their visa. Students that are on specific scholarships & the ones with reciprocal health insurance arrangements from their home country may also be exempt from this particular requirement. Norwegian or Swedish students are also exempt from this health cover as they are provided this under the existing National Health Insurance Scheme. If you need any information or advice about the rules surrounding Overseas Student Health Cover, feel free to call us

OSHC- What does it cover?

  • OSHC policies cover the cost of most hospital as well as medical treatment
  • Benefits are paid for ambulance services
  • Limited benefits for pharmaceuticals will apply- these are restricted to $50 per pharmaceutical item ranging up to a maximum of $300 per year for any single membership (and $600 if it’s a family membership)
  • If a student needs treatment with pharmaceuticals, or particularly oncology (cancer) treatment that can end up costing tens of thousands of dollars, they might face significant out-of-pocket costs. OSHC doesn’t pay for any general treatment (ancillary/extras cover) including physiotherapy, dental or optical. If you need cover for any of these treatments, you might have to take Extra OSHC that’s provided by any OSHC provider. Alternatively you will have to take general treatment cover with an Australian private health insurer.
  • You can opt to supplement OSHC with some other insurance like international travel insurance

Having OSHC is specifically a visa requirement; this is why it’s important that you maintain your cover at all times & don’t fall behind on your payments. In the event that you do fall behind, you might be able to continue with the cover, however, you might not be able to claim for any of the services you received at the time you were in arrears.

How changes in a visa impact your OSHC cover

In case the status of your Visa or even your Medicare changes at any point of time, it’s important that you inform your insurer about this change, without any delay; and find out whether the level of cover you currently have continues to be suitable. Once your student visa expire, your eligibility to hold OSHC will also expire. You can then switch to an Overseas Visitors Health Cover plan or a resident’s cover. This would be based on your specific situation and you will have to check the existing visa rules for this.

Please call us if you need any further information or advice and have a look at the useful links below for International students

Call now: (02)8399-5320

Opening hours

Mon-Fri: 8am - 6pm

Sat: 9am - 1pm

Phone: 02 8399 5320

Fax: 02 8399 5317

We're located at
7-9 Gibbons Street Redfern

Opposite Redfern train station